• December 7Boys basketball Friday December 7th at Liberty. Sophomore @6, Varsity @7:30

• December 6Struggling in a class? NHS offers tutoring during Liberty Time in the library!

• December 6Wrestling meet at Cedar Rapids Kennedy December 6th. JV @6:15, Varsity @7

ACT and SAT Testing

Back to Article
Back to Article

ACT and SAT Testing

Hannah Siems, Image Library Specialist

The SAT and ACT are standardized tests used for college admissions in the United States. Because the scores can play a significant part in student futures, it’s common for students to get stressed the moment they lay their eyes on the three-letter acronyms.

It is stressful and it makes a difference,” said Principal Scott Kibby. “For some people, it’s just [to get] into college [but] for others it [decides] how much money they get in scholarships.”

While neither test is harder than the other, they test on different things. The ACT has a Science section whereas the SAT does not and both test on different math subjects. Students may score much differently on each test due to these key subject matters.

Despite these differences, there is no difference in price to take the two.

The ACT cost $46 for no writing but if a student decides to do the optional writing section than would be $62.50,” says Jennifer Naughton, Liberty Guidance Counselor, “For SAT it’s about the same.”

For students gearing up to take their tests, there are resources available at Liberty to help you practice. Firstly, SAT and ACT practice books are available to check out at the library. Secondly, Liberty offers the PSAT and Pre-ACT once a school year as practice tests for their important counterparts.

“[They are] at a lower cost and helps students become more confident and help where their weaknesses are before they go into the real thing,” said Naughton.

Though the PSAT was offered during the 2017-2018 school year, this is the first year the Pre-ACT has been made available for students to take.

Students who are serious about their SAT and ACT scores spend months preparing for the test. Though there’s a lot of pressure surrounding it, Corissa Gavin, junior, felt that completing her ACT took a weight off of her shoulders.

“After I took the ACT I felt great,” said Gavin. “My friends and I went to get food afterward and we basically forgot about all of the stress we just went through in the past 4 hours.”

About the Writer
Hannah Siems, Reporter

Hannah Siems is a new member of The Live Wire staff. She loves being outdoors and with friends. Hannah also enjoys taking and editing photos. She joined...