• April 4Boys Varsity Tennis Vs Dubuque Senior @ 4:00 pm

• April 4Girls JV/Varsity Soccer vs West Branch @ 5:00 Home

• April 4Girls Varsity Tennis Meet @ 4:00 pm Dubuque Senior High School

The Pet Effect

Carley Spading, Reporter

Whether furry, scaly, or feathered, pets tend to make life better for us humans. They provide an entirely different kind of interaction that other people simply can’t provide, and studies have shown that having pets can even extend your life.                 

“I love how excited [my dogs] are when I come home every day. They’re always there to cuddle when I’ve had a bad day,” said Dani Means, senior, who goes home to two rambunctious labradoodles named Danny and Mya.

There are upwards of 300 million pets in the US, most being dogs, cats, and fish, and they each bring their own kind of personality and flair to their households.  

Along with companionship, pets can also provide physical and mental health benefits to their keepers.

“What I love most about having pets is the joy that they bring me, They give me a life to take care of and a reason to get up in the morning,” said Natalie Egge, sophomore. Egge has 9 birds, 7 mice, 4 cats, a frog, a snake, a ferret, a dog, and a 55-gallon fish-tank.

According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), having pets, primarily dogs, can decrease stress, cholesterol, and blood pressure. But overall, they just improve the mood of those around them. So while many of the benefits they provide may be purely a placebo effect, people gladly commit their homes and time to their four-legged friends, though the number of legs can vary.

“They always find something to destroy when you leave the room,” said Means, referring to the variety of items their pups have destroyed, including headphones, shoes, and even a backpack.

“I run into challenges occasionally, as I do have quite a few animals. Some of the challenges include the cost and the time required to take care of them,” said Egge.

With a little work and extra time after school, pets make a worthwhile addition to families and individuals across the country and in this very school.

About the Writer
Carley Spading, Reporter

Carley Spading, senior, is a reporter on the Liberty Live Wire, and is also involved in band, show band, jazz ensemble, and GSA. She has a passion for...