The Student News Site of Liberty High School

Ryan Kelly, Math teacher, and Jeff Kelley, Social Studies teacher, have the same pronunciation of their name but they have an abundance of differences, ranging from the years of experience to what they do in their free time. There are also some similarities. Both have a sense of humor and it shows in their responses to the questions below. 

This year there are two Kell(e)y teachers at Liberty. But starting next year Liberty is adding a new Kell(e)y to the staff. Allie Hutcheson (math teacher) is engaged currently to Kelly, the math teacher. Their wedding is planned for the summer of 2020 so starting the school year of 2020 there will be a Mrs. Kelly. 

Hutcheson said, “Both of the Kell(e)ys here are great teachers and coaches, so I’ll absolutely be proud to take on that name.”

Along with the Kell(e)ys coaching, the new Mrs. Kelly has had her share of coaching in her life. 

Hutcheson stated, “ I have coached volleyball and soccer. Soccer for a year at Kennedy during college, and volleyball for 3 different clubs and at Liberty. I love my current coaching job at Liberty. Our program has really grown to be something special, and the girls I get to work with making my job every day so fun.” 

Liberty staff is not only adding a new Kell(e)y to the staff but she also fits the Kell(e)y mold of being an experienced coach.

Ryan Kelly, Math teacher

How long have you been teaching?

This is my 9th year of teaching.

Where did you go to college to get your teaching degree?

I graduated from Clarke University in Dubuque, IA. 

How many different schools have you taught at?

Liberty is the 3rd school I [have] taught at. I previously taught at Dubuque Senior High School and prior to that, I was at Thomas Jefferson Middle School in Dubuque, IA.

What sports have you coached?

I have coached 8th-grade football, and high school baseball and basketball.

What has been your coaching career so far? 

I started out as the freshman basketball coach at Senior. [I] did that for 3 years and then became the Varsity assistant at Senior. I did that for 4 years and then moved here to North Liberty where I will be starting my 2nd season as the Varsity assistant basketball coach. While coaching at the high school level I have also been coaching AAU Basketball for 9 years with the Iowa Mavericks and Iowa Barnstormers both at the middle and high school levels.

What would you say your teaching style is? 

I would say my teaching style is an energetic one. I like to teach with a lot of passion and energy. I try to teach like I coach. I want to develop relationships with my students and get to know them. I want my students to be engaged in the lesson or whatever I am teaching.

What is something unique about you?

I am allergic to gluten.

What do you do in your free time?

During my free time, I love to play golf! I also enjoy relaxing and hanging out with my fiance Ms. Hutcheson.

What makes you different than the other Mr. Kelley?

I am younger, I teach Math, and better looking (haha jk).

What is your favorite part of Liberty? 

[My] favorite part of Liberty is the people. There is a fantastic group of teachers, administrators, and students here at Liberty. These people are what makes getting up every day to come to work easily.

Jeff Kelley, Social Studies teacher

How long have you been teaching?

33 years.

Associates in Arts at Indian Hills Community College.

Bachelor of Arts at Graceland University.

Master of Arts at Iowa State.

3 high schools

2 colleges

What sports have you coached? 

Football and boys & girls basketball (Including the old 6 on 6 version).

Taking the first boys team in Moravia HS history to a state tournament in 1985. We lost to the State Champion team from Norway in the semi-finals.

Coaching my Indian Hills softball teams to 10 straight trips to the National Tournament.  Each of the ten years we either finished in the top ten or were ranked in the top ten nationally.  We lost to the National Champion from Pima, AZ in the semi-finals in 2005. Taking the first softball team in the history of West High & the Iowa City School District to the State Tournament in 2012.  We lost to the State Champion team from Ankeny in the semi-finals.

Organized, structured & a disciplinarian that expects [my] students to work hard and respect their classmates.

What is something unique about you? 

WOW… as I sit here and think about this question, I’m not sure what to say.  Here’s what I know. I’ve been to a lot of places, met some famous people, and had many great life experiences.  I’ve been blessed. I’m not sure if that is unique, but it is who I am.

What do you do in your free time?

Most often, anything involving McKenna and Wyatt [my kids].  I do like to bow hunt in the fall, which is probably why fall is my favorite season.

What makes you different than the other Mr.Kelly?

Taller, older, more experienced, and better looking (everyone knows that bald is beautiful).  And one last thing… I spell my name the correct way. 🙂

What is your favorite part of Liberty? 

My [favorite part of Liberty is the] colleagues and the great kids that I get to work with every day.  I know it is cliche, but we truly are lucky to have so many great people in this building.

The Live Wire • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in