Chloe Oppelt

In the first edition of The Bolt Advice column, run entirely by the students, reporter Megan Quinn will be answering anonymous questions submitted on an online form by students. 

Bolt Advice

October 21, 2021

Q: “I feel like one of my teachers has a group of students that are her favorites and she only pays attention to them, how should I address this to her?” 

A: This sounds really frustrating, especially if you are not getting the help you need. Not going to lie, it sounds like your teacher didn’t have very many friends in high school and is trying to rebuild her high school experience. In all seriousness, I suggest talking to her after class about how you feel like you need more help, don’t try to be confrontational. If that doesn’t work, I suggest talking to our counselors here and try to switch teachers. There are almost always different teachers for each subject.

Q: “I’m a really bad driver, how do I get better?”

A: From someone who failed her drivers test 3 times and passed the 4th, I don’t feel like I have the exact credentials to tell you how to drive. However, I learned a few things from the trials and defeats of getting my drivers license that can apply to everyday driving. First of all, act like your parents are always in the car, this will help you be more aware of what you’re doing and make sure you aren’t making any lazy mistakes. Another thing you can do is practice. If you already have your driver’s license it’s still important to practice. Practice can even include just going on a drive around town. 

Want your questions to be included in the next edition of Bolt Advice? Make sure to fill out this form!

Chloe Oppelt

Bolt Advice

In the second edition of The Bolt Advice column, run entirely by the students, reporter Jordyn Smith will answer anonymous questions submitted on an online form by students.

“How do we deal with bullies when they just don’t stop. Do we go to staff? Do we handle it ourselves, and talk to them about it? What options do we have?” 

If you’re in a situation where you think you are being harassed or bullied, the first thing I would recommend is talking to your parents or another trusted adult, they could help you better than many others because they most likely know YOU better than most.

Completely cut off contact with whoever the bully is, if they message you, don’t respond, but try to keep as much evidence as you can. If they talk to you, walk away, and block them on all platforms. Don’t let the person get a strong reaction out of you because that is probably what they want. If the bully is someone you used to be friends with, it can be hard to cut off connection, but ultimately, it will be what is best for you in the long run. 

Most importantly, don’t retaliate. Ultimately, the bully most likely just wants to get a reaction out of you. If you give them a reaction, they’ll probably continue. If you’ve tried to cut off all contact with them, and they still find ways to harass you I would definitely suggest going to the school. Do whatever it takes to make you feel comfortable. 

We received another question asking about why people bully, and when it comes to why people bully, I can’t give you a definite answer. First off, bullying is defined by Oxford Languages as seeking to harm, intimidate, or coerce someone seen as vulnerable. Every situation is different, but usually someone who bullies isn’t very happy with themselves. Bullies oftentimes bring others down to make themselves feel better. It may seem clique, but your bully could be jealous of you. They may also be bored, or they may have just never been taught that the things they are saying are wrong. However, there are many reasons people bully, and I can’t speak for everyone who does it because every situation is different.

“Walk and Talk”

Teachers and staff have always emphasized walk and talk in the hallways to prevent students from standing around blocking up the hallway. Walk and talk basically just means that students shouldn’t pause in the hallways for conversation, but continue walking. Walk and Talk is actually a technique used in television where characters are having a conversation while walking somewhere. 

“Picking a career”

The thought of choosing what you are going to do after high school can be very intimidating for many students, it is a very difficult decision to make. I would recommend first off reflecting on your interests, and what you are good at. A good future career can depend on your strengths and weaknesses as well as what you like or dislike to do. I would recommend making a list of possible career options and then making pros and cons lists of each job. If you have certain topics that interest you more than others, you could take classes or do research on them, as well as do internships (if your career interest provides them). 

One other thing that could really help you when looking for a career, is to talk to those close to you about what they think you could be good at, or enjoy doing. Parents, friends, teachers, or any other close adults could give good insight. If you’re interested in a certain subject you could talk to that teacher about certain professions, and you could also talk to people who are in careers you are interested in, to see if the job is really what you want to do.

Chloe Oppelt

Bolt Advice

In the third edition of The Bolt Advice column, run entirely by the students, reporter Megan Quinn will answer anonymous questions submitted on an online form by students.

“Why do some seniors get angry when freshmen park in “their” parking lot? Are the parking lots actually grouped/separated by age? Or is it an unspoken/unofficial sort of thing?”

It seems like this year, the idea of ‘seniority’ has been very apparent, which means when ‘people are placed in a higher position solely based on age.’ From my perspective, Liberty doesn’t really value seniority like other schools. So, it seems like, Liberty seniors have to make their own rules when it comes to seniority. One of these ‘rules’ is saving the main student parking lot to the upperclassmen. However, this ‘rule’ isn’t enforced by the school. According to the parking arrangement photo, students can park wherever they want in the student lots. As a sophomore, I think this unofficial expectation is unrealistic, if a freshman had to come to school early, they shouldn’t have to park in the farther student lot when the closest one is empty. Maybe when I’m a senior I’ll appreciate it more but in the meantime, students should be able to park in whatever parking lot they want to. 

I’ve had C lunch since my freshman year and we still continue to get scraps. I know there’s food but by the end of two lunches, C is left with basically nothing. I’ve tried to bring this up to school administrators but they don’t seem to care. What do you think I should do?”

I know a lot of people who have shared this concern too. In terms of having enough food to last through the day, I would suggest bringing snacks from home in addition to the school lunch. It doesn’t even have to be something you prepare, it can just be an apple and some goldfish. If that doesn’t seem like that’s working, you can ask your counselor if you can switch lunches next trimester. 

The Live Wire • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in