The Fun of Halloween

Halloween is a fun day to dress up and go around your neighborhood to get free candy. There is spooky adventures to go on and scary places to go to.

Hannah Siems, Reporter

The celebration of Halloween stems back to the ancient, pre-Christian Celtic festival of Samhain. The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in what is now Ireland, the United Kingdom, and Northern France, believed that the dead returned to Earth on Samhain. Celebrations of this holiday included rituals honoring ancestors, bonfires, and dancing.

Halloween has evolved immensely over the years. Nowadays on October 31st, children across the nation dress up in costumes and collect candy around their neighborhood.

Though not many teenagers trick-or-treat anymore, Halloween can be an enjoyable time for reasons other than free candy.

“I love the weather and slowly seeing houses being decorated with Halloween props,” said Alec Nelson, junior. “[On] Halloween night I love being able to walk around and see everybody in their costumes while looking at the lights.”

Spencer Knight, sophomore, enjoys the holiday for a different reason.

“Halloween is important to me because I really enjoy talking to neighbors I haven’t seen in a while. I think Halloween is more about the community than the candy,” said Knight.

Halloween is a great holiday to have fun. Some people like to get in the spirit by visiting seasonal and scary attractions. Madison Nesham, sophomore, says her favorite place to go for Halloween is Scream Acres. Scream Acres is a popular scary theme park with attractions such as The Slaughterhouse, The Cornfield, Carnival Chaos, and Cell Block Z. Crowds of people of all ages go to Scream Acres and wait in line for more than 3 hours to enjoy the thrill of getting scared.

While the thrill of Halloween has its novelty for some, there are still many exciting ways for Liberty High students to celebrate the occasion.