The Student News Site of Liberty High School

The Live Wire

The Live Wire

By the students, for the students

Liberty High School is known for its diverse and inclusive environment. With over 30 clubs to choose from; what sets Student Council apart from the others?
Student Council was founded by Jake Binggeli this school year to create a safe, inclusive environment for students to use their voice and become more involved in their community.
Vanessa Litton

Student Council is a new club at Liberty with many opportunities for leadership positions, volunteering and student involvement throughout the school community. The club is now in charge of school spirit weeks, advocating for the student body and more. While it started small, the Student Council is on a path to success at Liberty.

“Student Council is for everyone; the students run it, but it affects every person in the school. Everyone’s opinions matter and can make a difference… [it] is an opportunity to meet new people, take on leadership roles and advocate for other students,” said Taylor Cavanh, 10, student council member.

Student Council, although new, is quickly making a presence within Liberty. The club is student-led through open discussions with few boundaries. Some ideas in consideration are senior parking spots, food portioning in the school cafeteria and vending machines.

“Student Council’s goal is to create a better relationship between the students and administration, and create a more happy, friendly and inclusive environment at school,” said Cavanh. 

Before Student Council, the administration typically made decisions for the student body and the club intends to change that. Some projects that are currently in progress include getting Winter Formal Spirit Week themes lined up and organizing a plan for a Student Council president. 

“What I like about Student Council is that we get to have fun while also making big decisions around the school that make an impact,” said member Taylor Smith, 10.

There is something for everyone in Student Council. Whether you’re looking to build your resume, gain leadership experience or find a community, Student Council is open to anyone; everyone’s voice makes a difference. 

With Dunkin’ Donuts offered every first meeting of the month and limitless discussion,  this club could be an excellent opportunity for many. Interested participants should contact Jake Binggeli at [email protected] for more information.