The Student News Site of Liberty High School

The Live Wire

The Live Wire

Winter Holidays

The months of November and December are filled with a plethora of holidays that are often overlooked.
Each holiday possesses different visual symbols, many pertaining to light.
Leela Strand

All over the world, people look forward to the “holiday season”. Often accompanied by lights, snow, and more, the months of November and December are filled with celebrations for many. Though the focus of this period is often on Thanksgiving and Christmas in the US, there are several other holidays celebrated. 

Kwanzaa has a historic beginning. Black nationalists created this holiday after the Watts Rebellion against police brutality in the 1960s. Kwanzaa honors black heritage in America. It has seven guiding principles: unity, self-determination, collective responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity, and faith. Celebrations include “candle lighting ceremonies, feasts, and reflections on past struggles and future hopes,” from December 26 – January 1 (National Geographic). 

Diwali is a five-day holiday typically celebrated by those who practice Hinduism, Sikhism, and Jainism. This holiday is a celebration of light, and good over evil. Celebrations typically include light displays, fireworks, feasts, and prayer. The dates of the celebration vary as they are determined by the lunar calendar. However, Diwali is typically celebrated in November. 

Bodhi Day is a Buddhist holiday that honors Siddartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism. He lived in the fifth century BC in modern-day Nepal. To be known later as “the Buddha”, he is said to have reached enlightenment. Buddhists celebrate this holiday on December 8 through meditation (History.com). 

Hanukkah is celebrated from December 18-26. This holiday reaffirms the ideals of Judaism and the rededication of the Second Temple of Jerusalem. The lighting of the nine-branch menorah symbolizes how one day’s worth of oil lasted eight days when the Jewish people are said to have reclaimed Jeuruleum and is central to the holiday. Latkes, sufganiyot, and dredales are common parts of the celebration. 

Feast Day of Our Lady Guadalupe is celebrated on December 12. Mexicans and Mexican-Americans feast in order to honor Our Lady of Guadalupe, a saint of Mexico. This holiday represents patriotism and devotion for many. Millions of people visit the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in December for this celebration (TIME). 

The months of December and November are filled with many diverse holidays. Learning about and exploring holidays you don’t celebrate may enhance your experience during the seasons.