The Student News Site of Liberty High School

The Live Wire

The Live Wire

Is it a celebrity’s job to inform us?

Opening up social media and being flooded with other people’s thoughts is unavoidable. But with serious global issues at stake, is it time to start thinking twice about the opinions we consume?
Celebrities have a significant influence on everything from election campaigns, to pandemics and climate change.
Piper Kearney

Why do we look to celebrities’ opinions on world issues before our own? With so many big names in pop culture speaking out on the current state of the world, reminding ourselves to form our own nuanced opinions is more important than ever.
Wars and humanitarian crises rage on now, as they have throughout all of history. But the way the “typical” American approaches these issues has shifted with the rise of social media. According to the Pew Research Center, 69% of U.S. adults receive their news from social media, whether it be rarely, occasionally, or often. With millions of followers, many celebrities’ social media pages are people’s first glimpse into global news.
Despite being a potential gateway into world politics, celebrities are often criticized just as much for commenting on issues, as they are for choosing not to speak out on them. At the height of the Israel-Palestine conflict, celebrities have faced repercussions no matter what they’ve done.
For instance, TikTok star and influencer Brittany Broski was recently under fire for explaining her silence surrounding the Middle Eastern situation in a leaked video. Broski reportedly said, “In what universe am I to speak on this? I am the opposite of the person that should be speaking on this.”
Many argued in her favor, agreeing that being in the public eye doesn’t automatically give influencers the credibility to speak on such topics. Additionally, in lacking a full understanding of complicated problems, plenty of famous people unintentionally come across as out-of-touch in the responses they do end up posting.
“If you’re a celebrity talking about poverty, but you’re also a celebrity on a yacht during a pandemic, then I won’t listen to a word you said,” commented Anna Prieskorn, 12.
On the other hand, some argue that it is a celebrity’s responsibility to address certain issues. Even if they aren’t an expert on a topic, those with such a large following hold an advantage over regular activists; their voices reach more people, much quicker.
Stars like Bella and Gigi Hadid, Gal Gadot, and Justin Bieber, have all spoken out about the war in Gaza in some capacity. While some of them have received praise from the public, others have lost jobs and contracts as a result. Celebrities often refuse to speak on politics due to this very issue; saying the wrong thing could cause issues for their career.
So should we continue expecting those in the spotlight to speak out? It’s ultimately up to each individual. But understanding that celebrities are humans, not flawless activists, may help remind us to determine our own opinions first.