The Student News Site of Liberty High School

The Live Wire

The Live Wire

Dancing for a difference: Liberty’s Dance Marathon

This year’s Mini Dance Marathon at Liberty, hosted by the Difference Makers club, will be held from noon to 5 P.M on Mar. 3.
In the past couple years, LHS Difference Makers have raised thousands of dollars for children battling pediatric cancer and their families.
Jenifer Secrist

In 1994, the University of Iowa held its first Dance Marathon. This annual event has since raised over $34 million in aid for the University of Iowa’s Stead Family Children’s Hospital. The tradition has also reached beyond the University, inspiring many high schools across Iowa to host their own mini Dance Marathons. Since its opening, Liberty High School (LHS) has been one of them. 

Liberty’s Mini Dance Marathon is put on by its Difference Makers club. Difference Makers is a student-run organization, committed to providing both emotional and financial support to children battling life-threatening illnesses and their families. A culmination of a year’s worth of fundraising events, the LHS Dance Marathon will take place on Mar. 3. Set to a groovy 70s theme, the event encourages the community to come together in support of those impacted by childhood cancer. 

This year’s Dance Marathon includes everything from dancing, games, tie-dye, a petting zoo, silent auctions, and food, to guest speakers from the community (and more). Within all the activities and fun lies an impactful mission: spreading awareness for pediatric cancer, breast cancer, and mental health, as well as assisting local families. 

The LHS Dance Marathon invites the community to join Difference Makers in coming together to support children. Specifically, in alleviating families affected by childhood cancer of certain day-to-day concerns, and helping them to build lasting memories together.

“The money we raise goes to [hospital] parking passes, meals, gas, toys, etc… whatever the families need at the moment,” shared Gracie Hennings, 12.

Difference Makers’ biggest event of the year comes as a result of roughly 100 Liberty students’ hard work behind the scenes. The LHS Dance Marathon wouldn’t exist without their dedication to uniting the community and bringing hope to families facing difficult times. 

“I get the joy of seeing people being people; people striving to help their communities and wanting to make a difference, which is beautiful,” Hennings commented. 

The LHS Dance Marathon will run from noon to 5 P.M at Liberty High School. Join Difference Makers in sharing children’s stories and helping to make a direct impact on them and their families’ lives!