The Student News Site of Liberty High School

The Live Wire

The Live Wire

“The Little Mermaid” preview

As the annual spring musical rolls around, the cast and crew are hard at work to put on a vibrant and exciting show.
Avery Riehl
Cast and crew build lasting friendships over the course of a show.

For this year’s spring musical, Liberty will be putting on “The Little Mermaid.” The show will tell the classic Disney story of a young mermaid princess named Ariel. In her pursuit to explore the forbidden human world, Ariel makes a deal with an evil sea witch and trades her voice for legs. She travels with her friends Sebastion, Scuttle and Flounder and along the way, falls in love with a handsome prince, Eric. 

The theater program has been working long and hard to put on this show. Crew members are some of the people who make productions happen. Miriam Terwilleger, 11, is playing Flounder in the musical and values all the work the crew puts in. 

“We wouldn’t have a show without our crew,” said Terwilleger. “They don’t get enough credit for everything they do.”

The crew does a lot of creative work like designing costumes and building sets. They also handle all of the technical elements of the production. Lights and sound are a huge part of musicals and are completely managed by the crew. Will Thompson, 12, is playing Prince Eric and he’s looking forward to seeing all the crew’s work.

We’re going all out for this production and I’m so excited to see how all the props, costumes and sets turn out,” said Thompson. 

The cast is also crucial to the success of the show. This year, the cast is filled with actors of ranging experience levels. For Noah Gregoire, 11, “The Little Mermaid” will be his first production and he will be a part of the ensemble. 

“Since I do not have a named role you’ll see me in the background as a fish, frog, chef and more,” said Gregoire, “I’m excited to perform in my first musical.”

Other cast members have more acting experience. Nora Yates, 10, is playing Ariel and has made her appearance on the big screen, acting in “How Not to Be a Junkie” and “Frasier.”

The design and making of costumes is a crucial component of preparing for opening night. (Avery Riehl)

“I have loved ‘The Little Mermaid’ since I was little,” said Yates. “I have always been a really independent person and I love how Ariel isn’t afraid to do what she wants and follow her heart.”

Lilly Vogts, 11, is another actress who has fallen in love with her character. She is playing Sebastion, and though she’s struggled with certain aspects of the character, she has come to enjoy it. 

Even though it is typically played by a guy, I like this role,” said Vogts. “It has been super fun creating my own version of the character.”

Whether it’s the set, costumes, music, acting or nostalgia, this musical has something for everyone. The show is the perfect family outing as people of all ages will be able to enjoy the show. The cast is especially excited for the children to see this classic story come to life.

I love being able to perform for kids,” said Terwilleger. “I would love for all of them to be able to experience the music and characters in real life.”

Both the cast and crew have worked tirelessly to make this musical special and they are excited for the show’s big debut. The show will run every night starting April 4 and their last show will be April 7. Tickets are $5-10 and available for purchase online, in advance, or day-of at the door. Ticket sales help fund Liberty’s theater program, allowing these shows to continue. So, whether it’s for the music, the characters or just to support the Liberty community, everyone should go see “The Little Mermaid.”