How to Beat the Sleet

No plans for winter break? Here’s a list of some fun activities you can enjoy around the community.

Kaylee Berns, Coverage Manager

• Ice skating at Terry Trueblood
    • As the temperature drops, the excitement of the community builds. People can finally skate on the now frozen Terry Trueblood lake in Iowa City. This opportunity is only available for a few months out of the year, so those who are interested must take advantage of it. This is a fun activity for those who enjoy the outdoors. You can bring your own skates or rent them from Fin and Feather H2O located at Terry Trueblood.  
  • Skiing at Chestnut Mountain
    • Looking for a quick winter getaway? Enjoy the snow while skiing and snowboarding at Chestnut Mountain in Galena, Illinois. No matter your skill level, you can enjoy this opportunity because Chestnut has many types of slopes that range from beginner to expert. Liberty High students Selena Wisner and Alec Nelson, Juniors, went together last December and described their experience.

Alec and I both grew up skiing with our families, and when we first started dating, we quickly found out that we’re both pretty good skiers. We knew immediately that we needed to have a few ski dates,” said Wisner. 

They enjoyed their time there and recommend this activity to others.

• Beat the Bitter Run
    • Get out of the house to burn some calories, and enjoy the Beat The Bitter Run. The week that leads up to this run consists of many activities around the North Liberty community. Some free activities include: ice skating, kite launching, games of the norse, fire and ice, murder mystery and many others. Gianna Smith, junior, described her experience ice skating as fun and convenient.

“We rented our ice skates at the rec center and then we went over to the rink, it was cool to know that we have something like this in our community,” said Gianna.

The link below includes descriptions of these activities as well as time and location. If you are interested in other activities be sure to check out the link below as it contains events that require pre-registration.

• Iowa City Farmers Market
    • Don’t stay cooped up in a cave. Get out and have some fun at the Winter Farmers Market. A winter farmers market will be held on February 18th from 11am-2pm. This event will be located at Johnson County Fairgrounds. .
  • Coralville Winterfest
    • Enjoy indoor and outdoor activities for all ages on Sunday, January 13th at the Coralville Winterfest. Activities include: an indoor snowball fight, horse drawn trolly rides, root beer tasting, a raffle, STEM education activities and many others. This event runs from 1pm-4pm and is located at the Iowa River Landing just off Interstate 80.