• December 7Boys basketball Friday December 7th at Liberty. Sophomore @6, Varsity @7:30

• December 6Struggling in a class? NHS offers tutoring during Liberty Time in the library!

• December 6Wrestling meet at Cedar Rapids Kennedy December 6th. JV @6:15, Varsity @7

Nurture Your GPA

Tutoring is being offered in the library by the National Honor Society and University of Iowa students here at Liberty.

Kaylee Berns, Reporter

Students rush to their designated classrooms as the bell rings for Liberty Time. During this time, a handful of students will be making their way to the library for tutoring offered by Liberty’s National Honor Society and University of Iowa students.

The National Honor Society, or NHS for short, is offering a unique opportunity to all Liberty High School students. During Liberty Time, any student who wants extra help with any subject can go to the library to receive tutoring from NHS members. A wide variety of students are a part of NHS allowing for diverse skills to accommodate each student’s needs.

The atmosphere and the general feel of the room during tutoring is very calm, yet you can tell there is a lot of collaboration,” said NHS president Ellie Chen, junior. According to Chen, the goal is to have a space for students where they can focus and learn to get the help they need in different subjects.

Measurements have been put in place to make sure tutoring is effective.

“At the end of the tutoring session, the tutor fills out a ‘report card’ for the teacher of the student. Part of the report card is that the tutor tells the teacher if he/she feels that the student understands the material or if the student needs follow up with either another tutor or a teacher,” said Sakinah Ellickson, NHS ambassador.  

University of Iowa Students are offering tutoring during Liberty Time as well. Students can visit the counseling office to sign up and receive tutoring in the library. This opportunity is run through the Backpack Program and currently there are 6 university students involved. Iowa students communicate which subjects they feel confident in teaching and are assigned to help students struggling in those areas.

One of the founders of this program said that her high school had a program like this when she was in high school and it really made a difference in her life, so she wanted to give back and do the same,” stated Mrs. Naughton.

Overall, tutoring at Liberty has been a success and is projected to grow as a program in the future.