The Student News Site of Liberty High School

The Live Wire

The Live Wire

Centennial Park Project

North Liberty announced its new plan to create a large gathering place, among other projects, in Centennial Park.
The Centennial Center is just one of many designs highlighted in North Liberty’s plan for the park.
Jillian Miller

From 2010 to 2020, the city of North Liberty saw a population increase of 53%, according to the U.S Census Bureau. As the population continues to grow, the city must grow with it. This is why North Liberty recently announced their plans for a $16 million project to transform Centennial Park into a bustling space for community and inclusivity. 

Centennial Park is currently made up of playgrounds, parking lots, and a large green space on the outskirt of town. But North Liberty city staff have begun work on a four phase plan to further bring the area to life, including: an amphitheater, splash pad, honor garden, and more. 

“The City has envisioned an entertainment park on the west side of town ever since we purchased the 40-acre plot in 2010,” explained Jillian Miller, the city’s assistant community relations director. 

After collecting feedback from the public in 2019 and 2022, the city discovered that North Liberty residents hoped to see more development of public spaces and parks in the area. The plan for Centennial Park will do just that. 

The city is currently finalizing phase one of their plan, which primarily focuses on a large stage at the parks center. Phase one is also comprised of an expanded plaza space, restrooms, and other utilities. It’s expected to open in the summer of 2025.

“The amphitheater will bring people together for free and ticketed concerts, comedians, acrobatic performances, and symphonies… we also look forward to showcasing local youth talent with school band concerts and dance studio recitals,” Miller described. 

Jillian Miller

The city hopes to promote accessibility throughout North Liberty, as displayed in phase two of their plan. It will include a splash pad and wheelchair accessible playground units, among other amenities, which are likely to open in the summer of 2026. Though, the addition of inclusive designs doesn’t end there. An assisted listening system will also be implemented within the amphitheater, which will help individuals in need of auditory assistance hear speakers and performers. 

Jillian Miller

Phase three and four will incorporate a year-round pavilion, further expansion on the plaza, additional parking, and an honor garden. While the first two phases’ completions are predicted to occur around 2026, three and fours opening dates will largely depend on funding. The project’s budget will come from multiple different sources. For instance, North Liberty has partnered with the Community Foundation of Johnson County, who are helping fund the park’s progress. The city will also utilize local public funds, grants, and private support. The city will also put American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding into the project. ARPA money came from the federal government and was intended to help state and local governments revive economies after the COVID-19 pandemic.

Jillian Miller

Miller concluded, “Quality of life is economic development. Centennial Park’s amenities will help maintain and attract a strong workforce in jobs of all skill levels, and users of local goods and services.”

All in all, it’s estimated that 80,000+ visitors to the park will bring in $11.6 million annually. While the project is still a work in progress, its construction represents North Liberty’s hopes to build a city that embraces each and every one of its residents.