The Student News Site of Liberty High School

The Live Wire

The Live Wire

Winter Activities

Tis the season! Winter is here, which means tons of fun activities to do!
People often find themselves feeling trapped inside during the winter season. Luckily, North Liberty and other nearby areas offer many activities.
Jocelyn Klein

As the temperatures start to drop, there are a lot of new activities to participate in. What are some local options for this winter?
Ice Skating
One thing to do this winter is tie on some ice skates and hit the ice. “Beat the Bitter” holds an ice skating rink at Penn Meadows Park on the tennis courts. Known as the Scheels Rink, it offers a 100 foot by 80 foot rink that is available for all ages. From January to March, it offers free ice skating from 9 am to 9 pm. You can either bring your own skates or be provided some by the North Liberty Rec Center.
If indoor ice-skating is of more interest, the mall is also always an option. Coral Ridge Mall offers the rink with $8 admission and a $4 skate rental at their indoor rank.
Beat the Bitter Events
Not only does North Liberty’s Beat the Bitter provide ice skating, they also hold numerous other events to help get people outside to enjoy the season. On Friday, Jan. 26, there is a 5k Glow Run; on Sunday, Jan. 28, there is a fire and ice event with fireworks, fire shows, and ice sculptures; and February 10 provides free carriage lights to go around and see the North Liberty Lights.
They all work to provide North Liberty a way to get out and about during the winter, especially free events.
See more at https://beatthebitter.com/event/north-liberty-lights/
Sledding
Sledding is another fun option for this year. There are numerous places to sled, from a tiny hill in your backyard to a giant hill you find in the middle of nowhere. A popular spot to sled is the hill at Brown Deer Golf Course. This is another free option. All you need is your winter gear, a sled, and the will to walk up and down a hill numerous times.
“I like sledding because it reminds me of my childhood. Me and my dad would go to Brown Deer every year at Brown Deer, so it holds good memories,” Taya Zapt, 12.
Snowboarding/Skiing
This time of year, Sundown Mountain Resort is popular amongst those who want to snowboard or ski. There are options available for all levels of experience, with offers ranging from easy to difficult trails. At about an hour and a half away, it is perfect for a day trip, or you can choose to lodge at the resort as well. Snowboarding/skiing not only provides a full day plan with friends, it also is a good workout. It may be scary at first, especially without experience, but by either taking a short class or learning from friend, you can improve all in a day’s work.
“I go up to sundown most weekends to snowboard in the winter, and it is the best thing to do with my time. There are a lot of options of trails, so it really is for anybody,” Kasen Secrist, 11.
Ice Fishing
When water starts to freeze over, bodies of water still offer activities to do, and ice fishing is an option. It’s another inexpensive option that gets you outdoors and only requires a bucket, spud bar/ ice auger, a rod, and some items to keep you warm.
Iowa DNR highly recommends only doing this on a minimum of four-inch clear blue ice, otherwise it can be dangerous. Some tips they give are: bring a friend, think small and light (small bait, line, and hooks), keep warm and dry, and know the ice. The DNR provides a lot of resources to navigate certain areas and the type of fish each area may have and when they will be most active.
Holiday Lights at the Lake
The third annual Holiday Lights at the Lake is being held from now to Dec. 31 with hours of Sunday- Thursday 5:30-8:30 pm and Friday-Saturday 5-9 pm at the West Overlook Campgrounds. All days offer the drive-through, with Wednesday having the optional walk-through option. Depending on car size, the pricing ranges from $10 for small cars, $30 for vans, and $50 for buses, with walkthroughs being $5.
The event is to enhance holiday spirits by admiring the many lights. It is a more relaxing activity but still a good option.
“I would recommend it to families, especially those with little kids. You drive along a path and see different lighted sections. It’s an enjoyable thing to do in the winter, especially if you cannot figure out what to do because it is a good activity for all ages, everyone in your family would enjoy it. You can roll your windows down and there will be music playing all throughout the area. Everyone that volunteers there is super nice and gives you candy canes. My favorite part was the lights with flowers and butterflies, it was so cute,” said Molly Krough, 11.
Learn more about the “why” behind this event on another Liberty Live Wire article linked HERE.
Snowball Fights
A good go-to is a traditional snowball fight. Grab a couple of friends and just have at it. There are endless possibilities with friends and snow. You can also build a snowman and have a competition for the best one. Just make sure to use gloves, or it would be pretty uncomfortable. This could be a good throwback to childhood to make you feel some nostalgia.