The Student News Site of Liberty High School

The Live Wire

The Live Wire

Style and self-expression at Liberty

Liberty students decide what to wear to school every day. What can their clothing choices reveal about fashion, society, and identity?
Both social media and students local communities have a large effect on ever-changing high school fashion.
Piper Kearney
Both social media and students’ local communities have a large effect on ever-changing high school fashion.

Fashion, celebrity culture and clothing trends are often dismissed as trivial. For many, fashion is simply about throwing on whatever’s most comfortable in the morning. However, for some, clothing serves as a canvas for self-expression, prompting the question: does what we wear reflect who we are?

Fashion allows us to walk the line between fitting in and standing out. Stemming from a desire to be accepted by their peers, young people follow current clothing trends more closely than any other age group. 

Some fashion trends I’ve noticed around the school are comfier clothes. Like Uggs are huge right now, wide leg sweatpants, things like that,” stated Andi Cetta, 11, on the latest clothing trends sweeping Liberty.

Liberty’s student body displays a diverse range of attire, from jeans to pajama bottoms, but can overall be described as comfortable and casual. Students tend to prioritize practicality, especially considering the long school day ahead of them. This rise of casual fashion, common in many American high schools, serves as a unifying force, blurring the lines between gender, social status and age. 

Still, it’s not uncommon to see these rules broken; people are always seeking ways to maintain a sense of individuality within social norms and trends. Unfortunately, the fashion industry moves quicker than ever these days, making it increasingly difficult to keep up with these trend cycles. 

Cetta said, “I used to feel tons of pressure to fit fashion trends, but eventually I found it a lot more fulfilling and environmentally friendly to not buy every trendy item, and wear what I want to wear instead.” 

Fashion stretches far beyond the limits of Liberty. It walks up the steps of award shows, to our favorite influencers’ feeds, and into our shopping carts. Social media plays an important role in this. From the biggest names in fashion, to small creators sharing their everyday looks, the internet has revolutionized how audiences formulate their style.

I love to see what celebrities and influencers are wearing. I may draw inspiration from what [they’re] wearing… but I don’t feel the need to replicate someone’s own style,” Keira McKnight, 12, shared. 

It’s common for students to get swept up in fleeting trends. Focusing on sustainable fashion practices and embracing smaller, local styles can make emulating popular looks, while maintaining a personal touch, easier.

Sporting a certain style can offer a glimpse into people’s personalities, “I am an introverted person, and fashion has allowed me to express myself and connect with people I wouldn’t normally talk to,” noted Cetta.

However, what one wears isn’t the end all, be all, of who they are, “People will judge you based on your style and make internal connections about how your style reflects your personality. I think our style simply reflects how we yearn to be seen, or not seen… at the end of the day, individuality in style trumps all when you know who you are,” explained McKnight. 

Ultimately, the question of why fashion matters lacks one simple answer; it’s a phenomenon that transcends physical clothing. Style, at Liberty and throughout the world, is a means of connection and self expression. Or,  simply a matter of which outfit was thrown on first.