The Student News Site of Liberty High School

The Live Wire

The Live Wire

Liberty students take on the business world

High school students navigate a unique set of challenges and joys when running their own business.
Young entrepreneurs are often well-versed in using social media to promote their businesses. Used with photographer permission.
Lauren Nelson

Today’s business sphere is evolving rapidly, most evident in the emergence of young entrepreneurs. In fact, around 60% of teenagers are now more interested in establishing their own business than working a traditional job. Hear from some of Liberty’s own high school-age business owners.

Lauren Nelson, 11, took up baking during the Covid-19 pandemic, “My small business is called Baked by Lauren. Right now I mainly sell cupcakes, but I also make other baked goods.”

Quarantine catalyzed a search for new hobbies to fill the time for many. Specifically for young people, an opportunity presented itself: to turn these new passions into profit. 

Nelson reflected, “During COVID I had a lot of free time, so I started baking and cooking different things every day. It was something that my great-grandmother also enjoyed doing which inspired me even more… it was a way I could connect with her.”

In establishing their own businesses, Nelson and others like her are able to pursue fulfillment through their interests, while making some extra money at the same time. 

Gavin Osmundson, 9, shared, “My business, Osmundson Lawn Care, is focused on quality residential lawn care… I wanted a way to make money that I like. I get to make my own hours for the most part and get paid better than retail.”

Running a business is a big task for anybody, but particularly for those also meeting the demands of school. While students can explore self-sufficiency and problem-solving on their own terms, balancing academics and a business presents challenges. 

“I think the hardest thing about running a business as a teenager is balancing both the business and school work,” said Nelson, “I want to be able to bake as much as I can but… I have school during the day and work at nights, leaving only the weekends to bake.”

Despite the hurdles, experience running a business as a teenager offers incredibly valuable lessons that carry on into other aspects of life. Skills such as time management, perseverance, and communication stay with business owners. Ultimately, these skills empower young people to take control over their futures, and follow their passions at the same time.

As young generations continue the trend of entrepreneurship, their ideas and aspirations contribute to our economy as a whole. Along with inspiring the next generation to pursue their interests on a larger scale.

Nelson concluded, “My advice to other students is to keep practicing. I’ve grown a lot since I started baking and have gained a lot of skills. Don’t let the bad moments stop you.”