Full of Firsts: Liberty Prom 2023

In an effort to promote community and create tradition, Liberty is introducing a grand march and after-prom party.

High schools around the country have been throwing their own after-prom parties for years, but this year will be Liberty Highs first!

Liberty Prom Comittee

High schools around the country have been throwing their own after-prom parties for years, but this year will be Liberty High’s first!

Liberty High Schools prom will take place on May 13th, followed by its first ever after-prom party. Prom tickets will be available for purchase during lunchtime starting on Monday, May 8th.

Prom night will be kicked off with a grand march, a tradition new to Liberty this year. Students will be able to walk across a catwalk on the football field for parents or other members of the community to watch and take pictures. Following the grand march, Liberty’s masquerade ball will begin at 8 p.m and last until 11 p.m.

Most excitingly, Liberty is introducing a new tradition following the dance. The after-prom party will begin at midnight, kicking off a night of food, fun and games.

“Liberty is such a new school that we haven’t really had a chance, especially with Covid, to start traditions, so that was at the forefront of everybody’s minds,” said Amee Wilkins, prom committee member, on the decision to hold an after-prom party.

After-prom activities will include multiple inflatables, including an obstacle course, jousting, and axe throwing. Not only this, but casino games will be set up in the auxiliary gym. There, attendees can expect to find a calm space to play card games such as poker and euchre.

“We’re also going to play movies in the commons so it will be a nice chill spot to eat, drink and hang with friends,” reported Wilkins.

Outside of activities, a variety of food options will be available at the after party. These range from a taco bar and cupcakes, to make your own wood fired pizzas. Food is being provided from places like Peppercorn Food Company, Scratch Cupcakery, Andale Taco Bar and The Big O Organization.

At 2 a.m, after-prom attendees will make their way to the auditorium for an hour-long show by a hypnotist and the announcement of prize winners. All junior and senior students are eligible for prize drawings upon entrance. Prizes include items such as Airpods, air fryers, gift cards and a grand prize that is yet to be announced. Students must be present from 3 a.m to 4 a.m to hear their name called for a prize.

After-proms doors will close at 4 a.m, ending the start of an amazing new Liberty tradition. The prom committee has worked hard year-round to raise enough money for the event. They hope that it serves as a time for students to let loose and safely have fun with their friends.

Special thanks to, Daphne Dallner, Hills Bank, BCI Lumber, South Slope, Corridor Endodontics, Steve Anderson – Hawkeye Design Dental, Heather Bernhard, Dennis & Kathy Baker, Anderson & Houghton, Tammie Walkercourt, Darryl Moore, NL Colab, Andrews Financial Group INC., Shadley Grimes, Ann Brownsberger, Stacy Schroeder, Tara Stephens-Giberson, Company match via Benevity, Dudley Brothers Company, Linda and Jerry Russell, Liberty PSTO Optimist Club, Dave Roberts, Diane Moon, Mix Home Mercantile, Daniel White, Korene Lanxon, Revival South Iowa, Doug & Sarah Goettsch, Iowa Revenue, Riverside Casino & Golf Resort