The Student News Site of Liberty High School

The Live Wire

The Live Wire

A guide to Valentine’s Day 2024

Love it or hate it, Valentine’s Day is the day to spend time with the people you love. Here is a wide list of options on how you can spice up your Valentine’s Day.
In the 5th century, Pope Gelasius declared February 14th St. Valentine’s Day.
Madelyn Johnson

Valentines, Galentines, whatever you may call it, the 14th of February is just around the corner. Here are some ideas on ways to spend the holiday, if it be with our date, friends or by yourself, we don’t judge!

The classic dinner and a movie is an option for a last-minute outing. If you want to save some money, the Coral Ridge Mall offers great cheaper dining options and a movie theater all-in-one. 

The movie, “Anyone but You” starring Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell is the perfect rom-com to get in the festive spirit. 

A hockey game is the perfect place if you are feeling a little more adventurous. On Valentine’s Day, the Iowa Heartlanders are playing Indy Fuel at Xtream Arena in Coralville. Doors open at 5:35 PM with tickets starting at $16 per person. 

Rather stay home? Get crafty! Lego sets make great decorations and there are many different ones to choose from. They are a perfect craft for more than one person. Lego offers a selection of different Valentine-themed sets: a bouquet of roses, a heart ornament and a set of two hedgehogs going on a date. 

If you want to get a little fancier, here are some options.

Brushes and Barrels (a painting studio) in Coralville is hosting a Valentine’s date night. While being led by an instructor, paint your very own canvas to create a Starry Night painting. This event starts at 7 PM, you can order your tickets online for $40 a person. 

Vue Rooftop is located on the 12th floor of the Hilton Garden Inn in Iowa City. This restaurant features a list of creative mocktails and shareable dishes. What makes this restaurant special is the fantastic view of downtown Iowa City. 

Another way to get in the festive spirit is Valentine’s Day themed gifts. Here are some ideas that would impress anyone. 

Candy Salad 

Made popular by Tiktok, a candy salad is exactly how it sounds: a jar or bowl filled with assorted candies. This is a perfect last-minute gift because many Valentines themed candies are already going on sale. 

JellyCats 

Also made popular by social media, Jellycats are stuffed toys that have a “vintage” look to them. Their Valentine’s Day Collection includes: “Love Locks,” flower pots and an abundance of different bunnies. 

Card 

While there is nothing wrong with gifting a homemade card, make sure to get creative with it! Pop-up cards are very simple to make, but there are also many other ways to step up your cards.