Teachers Teaching Teachers: Social Studies Department

Looking into a West High government classroom taught by Brady Shutt many years ago, 11th grader Seth Schroeder was sitting there eager to learn, two people who now teach at Liberty.

Looking into a West High government classroom taught by Brady Shutt many years ago, 11th grader Seth Schroeder was sitting there eager to learn. 

In high school, Schroeder was a hardworking, determined, sports-minded student. He was a part of the dominant football team at the time and contributed to a majority of West’s success both academically and athletically. 

In high school Shutt described Schroeder’s personality characteristics as personable, engaging, well-liked and respected by others, and his core personality traits have not changed over the years. Since the time Shutt taught Schroeder, Schroeder has grown a lot through his life experiences. He attended college, got married, had kids, and continues to add to his life. 

Shutt said, “Schroeder was a student-leader for us at West.  He has become an even stronger and more accomplished teacher-leader for Liberty and our school district.”

Although Schroeder has changed personality-wise, Shutts’s teaching style has remained similar to when he taught Schroeder in the past. Both then and now Shutt expects a lot from his students and has very high expectations. 

Shroeder also added, “Two staples of Mr. Shutt that haven’t changed are his waistline and wonderfully long hair. And I don’t see those changing anytime soon.” 

The two colleagues have known each other for so long they have noticed other things other than their teaching styles staying the same. 

Schroeder said, “I remember thinking ‘does he think we’re in college or what?’ But when you’re able to step back and look at how much you have learned and how much you’ve improved as a writer and grown as a student, you truly appreciate having him as a teacher.”

The fact that he is a former student of mine makes having Mr. Schroeder as a colleague even more special.  As a teacher, one of the coolest things that happen is when a former student chooses to be a teacher.

— Brady Shutt

Schroeder has been able to adapt to some of his teaching styles throughout his years of teaching. He feels that his time observing Shutt while he was a student at The University of Iowa and the time he was able to collaborate with him has definitely impacted the way he teaches. But because they are different people, they also have their differences when teaching. 

“I definitely try to emulate many of the wonderful characteristics he has as a person and teacher,” said Schroeder. 

When they found out they would be teaching together, both Shutt and Schroeder were ecstatic. Shutt spent a few years trying to convince Schroeder to come to Liberty. 

Shutt said, “The fact that he is a former student of mine makes having Mr. Schroeder as a colleague even more special.  As a teacher, one of the coolest things that happen is when a former student chooses to be a teacher.” 

The same can be said on Schroeder’s end. Schroeder loves to break out the old yearbook to show his current students. Schroeder always knew Shutt was a respected teacher and had a lot of great experience. When he decided to take the job at Liberty Schroeder was a little nervous knowing he was going to be teaching at the same school as Shutt. 

Shutt is such an incredible teacher and I knew the bar would be high. But it’s been so enjoyable collaborating with him and teaching alongside him. I wouldn’t trade it for anything,” said Schroeder. 

Now the two of them can be found sharing the same room at Liberty. Who would have thought that Shutt and Schroeder would be in the same room again.