Basketball Season Recap

Recaps of both the Girls and Boys 2019-2020 basketball seasons.

Both the boys and girls Varsity Basketball teams had disappointing ends to finish their season. The boys team had 10 wins and 13 losses, an improvement from last year’s 8 wins and 13 losses. The girls team finished 3-18, almost exactly the previous season, which they went 3-17.

“[The season] went well, we played as a team and accomplished many things. Even though we didn’t make it to state we still had a successful season.”

— Sam Funke

The boys team had a very strong start to their season, easily beating Washington, Center Point, Waterloo East, and Western Dubuque. Unfortunately, the streak of wins was followed by a tough stretch in which the boys went 2 and 6. Right at .500 win percentage, the boys won their next two games, already matching their previous season wins not even midway through their season. With most of the games on the road, the boys only won one game out of their next seven. All of their losses, though, were decided by 10 points or less. In the playoffs, the boys blew out Clinton, winning by more than fifty points. But in a hard fought battle, the boys team ultimately lost by 3 points against Dubuque Hempstead to wrap up their season.

Upperclassmen led the way for the boys’ varsity team this season. Andre Brandon, senior, led the team in points scored, free-throws made, blocks and rebounds. Juniors Basil Aldoss and Ethan O’Donnell led the teams in steals and assists. Savior Taylor, freshman, led the team in 3 point percentage, making 21 out of 39 of his 3 points attempts. 

“The season was kinda tough at the beginning with two of our players transferring but I feel like us as a team grew from it and we became [a lot] closer as a team. The season was a lot of fun and though we had our ups and downs we stayed very positive through the process”

— Haley Napoli

With the losses of some key players from the year before, underclassmen had to step up this year for the girls basketball team. Though the record may not show it, the girls team played their hearts out every game and fought until the end. The girls team lost their first three games before beating Waterloo East for their first win. Over the course of the season, the girls beat Waterloo East again and then Jefferson. The girls lost to rival City High to wrap up the season.

Throughout the season, the girls team showed very promising displays of young talent. Keiko Ono-Fullard, freshman, almost led the team in scoring, only behind senior Sam McPherson. Ono-Fullard led the team in assists and steals. Haley Napoli, sophomore, led the team in 3 point percentage, and Kennedy Daugherty, freshman, led the team in rebounds.