Liberty girls basketball looks to keep on rolling

The Liberty girls basketball team seems to have found their stride.

Chante Hardaway

Ava Meyer and Kennedy Daugherty play defense in a home game at Liberty,

As the season continues for the Liberty girls basketball team, the girls are finally getting their feet under themselves and getting on a good note. 

On January 12th, Western Dubuque came to Liberty to play the girls. The team came out right away with a 31-16 lead at halftime. Then Western Dubuque got going and made the game very interesting. With a very close second half, Liberty won 50-49.

Sophomore Kennedy Daugherty led the team in scoring with 15 points, sophomore Ava Meyer also added 11 points to the team’s score.

Both Daugherty and Meyer also led the team in rebounds with 11 and 10 respectively.

Sophomore Keiko Ono-Fullard led the team with five assists.

After finally getting a win under their belt, the girls brought that same energy and confidence to their next game against Waterloo East on January 15th. 

Once again, the girls got off to a good start taking a 30-23 lead at halftime, but that was only the start. They outscored Waterloo East 28-21 in the second half to win the game with a 14 point win, 58-44.

Ono-Fullard led the team in scoring with 17 points. Sophomore Avery Gaudet stayed aggressive and added 14 points. Freshman Haley Schroeder also had 10.

As she has all year, Daugherty dominated the rebounds with seven. Meyer and Schroeder also grabbed six boards. 

Going into a new week with two straight wins, Liberty hoped to continue this stretch against a very good Waterloo West team.

The game against Waterloo West would be the first of a three game week for the girls. The girls fell 73-47 moving Waterloos record to 11-1.

The last two games have brought me a ton of confidence and is helping me be the leader I want to be. I’m super excited to come out and play every night knowing this year isn’t always promised

— Ava Meyer

Meyer was the leading scorer for the Bolts with 14 points. Daugherty also added nine. 

Daugherty also led the team with eight rebounds.

Game two of the week was against Cedar Rapids Kennedy, this was a close game throughout, but Kennedy pulled out the win with a final score of 51-38.

Meyer was once again the leading scorer with 11 points and also led with six boards.

Ono-Fullard had nine points, and freshman Sunny Yarnell added five rebounds. 

The girls look to continue playing well as a team and look to improve their record with a game today, Friday, January 22 against Prairie in a girls/boys varsity doubleheader.