The First Four

The Liberty Live Wire reflects on Liberty’s graduating senior class.

Senior+Infographic

Quincy Lohman

The Live Wire remisses on the graduating senior class of 2021.

As high school students make plans for the summer, and the school year begins to wrap up, many seniors reflect on their past four years.

The seniors have less than a month of their high school careers. Graduation is on Saturday, June 5th at 7 pm. It will take place at Xtream Arena in Coralville per Mr. Bergmann.

This year’s graduating class has not only made it through four years of high school, but they also have helped build the foundation of Liberty High School. The seniors had a really unique opportunity to shape Liberty, being the first class to attend Liberty all four years.

… the goal should always be to leave the place in better hands than when you found it.  The class of 2021 has done exactly that. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

— Zach Hammes

“Every senior class I have been associated with at Liberty has been as good, if not better than the class before it.  The class of 2021 has built upon what previous seniors have built at Liberty; the goal should always be to leave the place in better hands than when you found it.  The class of 2021 has done exactly that. Thank you from the bottom of my heart,” said Zach Hammes, Business teacher.

“We were the class that got to start a majority of the traditions here at Liberty. I play volleyball, and as a team, we started many pre-game rituals and other traditions, like TP’ing our coaches’ houses after state and dancing before every single game,” said Lauren Roman, senior.

However, the seniors did much more than just start a few traditions.

“I think the class of 2021 really set a standard of excellence here at Liberty, in the classroom, and in extracurricular activities. To me, high school was full of learning opportunities and growth. I discovered new interests, met tons of new friends, developed my skills on the court, and found a new sense of independence. I am proud of how our senior class has overcome so much adversity this year,” said Roman.

I am proud of how our senior class has overcome so much adversity this year

— Lauren Roman

Throughout high school, many students have been significantly impacted by the graduating class.

“The best advice I have received in my first year of high school was to stay caught up in all my classes. It was from my sister (Morgan Prieskorn),” said Prieskorn.

“Overall [the seniors] are a pretty cool group of people. I have plenty of friends that are seniors and they are all really funny. They are a group of people I can look up to and ask questions if I need to,” said Jack Philipp, junior.

“The graduating class has impacted me in a couple of ways,” said Brooke Hildreth, junior.  “During the sports this season, I’ve met some seniors, and we’ve gotten close and became good friends. They have also helped me with some of the classes that they have already taken.”

Throughout the seniors’ four years of high school, they have been given great advice and have learned some helpful tips.

“A teacher once told me that if you need to memorize something to explain it, then you don’t truly understand it,” said Garrett Roggy, senior.

“[Teachers have told me to] study over multiple days, and don’t cram the day before the test,” said Schweitzer

“I’d give [the students] the same advice I got,” said Rodney Courtney, senior. “High school goes by a lot faster than you think it will, so try and enjoy it with friends as much as you can.”

Liberty seniors have less than a month of school left before they are “out in the real world,” which puts a lot of pressure on them to make big decisions about their future.

“I would tell seniors to try and take at least one day to try and relax or at least give yourself a breather once in a while …. also to just try and enjoy life,” said Courtney.

“Find a passion, chase your passion, and build experience in your passion.  Also, success is in the eye of the beholder, define what that success means to you and achieve it,” said Hammes.