What We Learned From Game One: Liberty Girls Basketball

The Liberty Girls Basketball Team played their first game of the season on the road against Waterloo West on 11.26.19.

Last Tuesday, November 26th, the Liberty Girls Basketball Team played their first game of the season on the road against the Waterloo West Wahawks. Liberty lost 46-66 to the Wahawks, but that does not take away from how well they performed for the first game of the year. The Lightning all around played collectively as a team unit and executed throughout the game. 

Leading Liberty players from last Tuesday include Sam McPherson, senior, with 17 total points, followed by Isabel Smith, senior, with 9 points. Haley Napoli, sophomore, lead the team with 5 assists, and Kennedy Daugherty, freshman, grabbed 4 rebounds for the Lightning.

The Lightning are showing a young and skilled roster along with program veterans leading the squad. The team consists of four freshmen, three sophomores, and six seniors. 

“I felt that we played really well as a team and that helped everybody’s confidence,” said McPherson.

“The young players have all adjusted really well and have played well so far and the future of the program is bright,” added McPherson.

This year is promising as long as they have confidence in one another, which we saw is possible.

Isabel Smith, senior basketball player for the Lightning.